Lime Music Notation Software for Old Macs
Lime was written by Lippold Haken and Dorothea Blostein.
These are the machine requirements for running Lime on Old Macs:
- Mac OS 9. (version 9.0; for Mac OS 7, Mac OS 8, and 68k macs an even older version of Lime is available)
- 32 Mbytes or more of memory
- 15 Mbytes of disk space
- Adobe Acrobat Reader or equivalent (to read Lime's PDF documentation)
- Mac OS 9 users must use OMS (included in the Lime release package)
- MIDI keyboard is recommended (but not essential) and a MIDI synthesizer of some sort is highly recommended
- PostScript printer (highly recommended)
To install Lime for Macintosh OS 9 or earlier:
For modern Macs go to Lime for Mac OSX.
- Download one of the following: Lime for OS 9 (Lime900os9.sea.hqx, 4083 kbytes) or the Previous Release Lime (for OS 7, OS 8, and 68k, Lime742.sea.hqx, 1776 kbytes).
- Your web browser should decode the downloaded file automatically. If it does not, you can decode it using any program that does BinHex decoding. Decoding will make a StuffIt archive file.
- Your web browser should expand the StuffIt archive automatically. If it does not, you can expand it using any program that does StuffIt expanding. Expanding will make a folder with the Lime program, the Lime manual, example pieces, fonts, and so on.
- Read the instructions in the LimeManual file for the rest of the install procedure.
On Windows and Mac OSX, Basic Lime may be used free of charge. Donations are welcome and go towards the development of facilities for Low Vision and Blind musicians.
On Mac OS 9 and earlier, as an alternative to the full-featured Lime program, you may download the Lime Viewer: Lime Viewer for OS 9 (LimeViewer100os9.sea.hqx, 0 kbytes) or the Previous Release Lime Viewer (for OS 7, OS 8, and 68k, LimeViewer100.sea.hqx, 0 kbytes). The Lime Viewer will never ask for payment; it allows you to view, print, and listen to Lime files, but it does not allow editing of the music.
We encourage you to distribute Lime. Please distribute the complete and unaltered Lime folder which you download from here.
There have been 44163 Macintosh Lime downloads (plus 14104 Lime Viewer downloads and 37391 abbreviated manual downloads) from this web site since November 2000.
Send electronic mail to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please Donate to the Development of Lime for the Blind and Partially Sighted, if you use it regularly.
Forward to Familiarizing Yourself with Lime
Up to CERL Sound Group Index